Wednesday, July 25, 2012

{Review} An Unquenchable Thirst: Following Mother Teresa in Search of Love, Service, and an Authentic Life by Mary Johnson

ISBN #: 978-0385666978
Page Count: 523
Copyright: September 13, 2011
Publisher: Bond Street Books


Description:
(Taken from book jacket flap)

At seventeen, Mary Johnson saw Mother Teresa's face on the cover of Time and experienced her calling. Eighteen months later, she entered a convent in the South Bronx to begin her religious training. Not without difficulty, this bright, independent-minded Texas teenager eventually adapted to the sisters' austere life of poverty and devotion, and in time became close to Mother Teresa herself.

Still, beneath the white and blue sari beat the heart of an ordinary young woman facing the struggles we all share - the desire for love and connection, meaning and identity. During her twenty years with the Missionaries of Charity, Sister Donata, as she was known, grappled with her faith, her sexuality, the politics of the order, and her complicated relationship with Mother Teresa. Eventually, she left the church to find her own path - one that led to love and herself.

Provocative, profound, and emotionally charged, An Unquenchable Thirst presents a rare, privileged view of Mother Teresa. At the same time, it is a unique and magnificent memoir of self-discovery.


Mandy's Review:

I've been interested in Catholicism since marrying my husband almost five years ago (He was raised Catholic, I was raised Pentecostal). Not interested to the point of converting, but interested enough to take a deeper look into the traditions and religious practices of Catholicism. So, when this book review request came to me, I had to agree.

An Unquenchable Thirst provides a very in-depth look into the process of becoming a nun. Granted, this is one woman's experience, but the details provided in her telling of her life is extraordinary. I have gained so much knowledge from reading about Mary's life. I have also gained a new-found respect for any woman who goes through the process of becoming a nun.

Most autobiographies are boring and not worth the read, but Mary writes her autobiography in a way that is engaging and keeps you turning the pages. I laughed out loud while reading about her summer camp children and, especially, when I read about Mary picking up her superior and shaking her! I would've paid money to see that.

I became angry over how Mary was treated by some of her superiors and when she wasn't allowed to speak her mind. That right there told me I would not make it as a nun. If I've got an opinion, honey, you best believe I'll be sharing it.

Overall this is an exceptionally written autobiography that I would recommend to one and all. Even if you don't like autobiographies, I suggest you give this a try. I think you'll find it enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast