Thursday, October 27, 2011

C.J. Reviews - The Last Way Station: Hitler's Final Journey by Jon Reisfeld

ASIN #: B004ZR9KSW
File Size: 67 KB
Copyright: 2011


Story Summary:
(Taken from Amazon)

On April 30, 1945, Adolf Hitler, one of the greatest mass-murderers in history, retired to his room in his bunker, 25 feet beneath the old Reich Chancery garden. Above him, the Red Army was encircling Berlin as his dream of a thousand-year Aryan empire lay in ruins. Hitler placed a glass cyanide capsule between his teeth and pointed a loaded service pistol at his right temple. Then, smugly believing he had both evaded capture and escaped all accountability for his crimes, he bit down and pulled the trigger. He was wrong!


C.J.'s Review:

Ummm ... wow, that pretty much sums up how I feel about this book. Just an overview, the book starts at the point of Hitler's suicide and on into the ever after. Hitler is forced to relive each and every sin he has committed or was committed in his name. Not a bad read, I finished it in just under 30 minutes.

Now, don't get excited, those of you who think that all I ever have is bad reviews, because this one isn't great; just better than others. Without giving too much away, I want to go over just a few things I like about this book and a few things I didn't like.

Likes: The speed with which Jon Reisfeld got to the point of the book. I hate when a book drags through the first 10 chapters and still hasn't come close to hitting the plot. I like the fact that Jon allowed Hitler to remain "Hitler" throughout the story. He didn't allow Hitler to become some pansy-ass version of his former self. Hitler was portrayed exactly how I would expect the Fuhrer to act. I also liked the detail Jon uses when going through Hitler's sins. I like how Jon gave us a taste of the concentration camps. It added so much more to the story and made me feel sorrow for the Jews.

Of course, with everything good, there must be some bad. The ultimate bad in this book, the freaking ending ... Jon, I wanted so much more than your ending!! I wanted to be "shocked" by the ending. Instead, I was given a soft tap on the head and a "good boy, thanks for reading." For the love of God Jon, Hitler was a dick, give him an ending fitting for a dick. I thoroughly expected to see something like one of the Fatalities in the Mortal Kombat game. Instead, I got teased. It was like being promised foreplay by my beautiful wife and, instead, getting to spend the afternoon with her mother. Not gonna lie, completely disappointed. I also did not care for how quick the story was ... Jon, if you do nothing else with this book, rewrite it and give me more meat. Chapters 4 through 8 were damn good, I just want 50 more like it with more stories.

All in all, this short story was excellent. I enjoyed 95% of the book and that's saying a lot. Jon, if you have any more stuff coming out, add a dragon to the story and I'll fall in love with you. Excellent read.

1 comment:

  1. C.J. -- Thanks for your honest, no nonsense, review ... and for the quick turnaround. (Quite impressive!) I don't think a dragon's in the works for my next round of fiction (except, perhaps, for featuring one as a tatoo), but I'll keep it in mind. Glad you enjoyed 95 percent and I welcome more detailed comments about the ending if you would like to share them with me personally.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast