Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review: Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard

ISBN #: 0-440-41286-2
Page Count: 48
Copyright: 1979


Book Summary:
(Taken from back cover)

Dudley the Stork's new house is haunted! When the clock strikes twelve there are thumps in the den, creaks on the stairs, and bumps everywhere.

Dudley's friend Trevor Hog says Madam Kreepy will find out what's causing the spooky noises.  And so, just before midnight, Dudley's friends gather with Madam Kreepy.

No one can guess what will happen when the clock strikes twelve.


Mandy's Review:

This book is #93 on the Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000-2009 ... Yes, I'm finally getting back to this list!!! =)

Banned Reasons

I could not find anything online that stated specific reasons.  However, after reading the book, I would suspect one reason to be the mention of witchcraft.

Cover

Considering the suggested reading ages for this book is 5 to 8, the cover would strike the mysterious, want-to-read chord within the heart of the potential reader.

Plot/Main Characters

Dudley the Stork cannot fall asleep one night.  As he's attempting to snooze, he hears strange noises downstairs.  Not really locating the noise's source, he calls his friends trying to figure out what to do.

Since Dudley has jumped to conclusions about his house being haunted, Trevor Hog suggests a medium come over to do a seance.

What then ensues is an interesting tale that resolves Dudley's fears about his house being haunted.

Agree/Disagree

Since I only speculated at the reason why this book was banned/challenged, I can only agree or disagree with my own reasoning.  And, I must say, I do have an issue with a book, for children aged 5 to 8, that involves talk of mediums and seances.

I do not have an issue with the ghost story part (who doesn't enjoy a good ghost story?!), but insinuating or suggesting that people can conjure spirits and talk to them is too much for a 5 to 8 year old to understand.  I'm not saying that it can't be written about, but I would prefer if it was written for older children.

So, yes, I would have to agree with my speculations as to why this particular book was banned or challenged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast