Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mandy Reviews: Mine by Lin Sten

ISBN #: 978-1450546300
Page Count: 300
Copyright: 2010
Publisher: CreateSpace

Book Summary:
(Taken from back cover)

Selena Castillo publicly claims to be an extraterrestrial. Is it a joke, a delusion, a gimmick, or a reality?

Tony Sturgess must believe that Selena's claim is only a publicity stunt, or that she is insane, as he falls in love with her, because he still struggles with the racism of his white-supremacist childhood; otherwise, he is certainly the right talent agent to exploit the gimmick, despite her radical environmentalism.

Professor Hal Bronson, on the other hand, is desperate to believe Selena's claim after he is labeled a "crackpot" for hypothesizing that the SETI silence is due to a global technological catastrophe that every advancing civilization must face: she might be a witness.

But if Earth is to be saved, from whom and for whom will it be?

Through humor, romance, and suspense, Mine entertains while its human characters resolve a case of mistaken insanity.

Mandy's Review:

Sometimes, as reviewers, you come across books that bring you great relief when you've finished reading it ... this is one of those books.

As far as the storyline goes, it was an interesting concept and it intrigued me. Once I began reading it, though, it was a completely different ballgame.

I do not mind scientific jargon. I do not mind characters expounding in conversations. However, I do mind when those two are combined and seem to happen throughout the entire novel. I know for sure there were parts of the book that I didn't even read because, while my eyes kept moving from word to word, my eyes glazed over and let me mind wander down some inane path.

Maybe I'm just not smart enough to "get" this novel. Perhaps my education isn't enough to catch the humor in it. I don't know. I do know I did not find one aspect of this book humorous nor romantic. It was an extremely mind-numbing read that, sorry Mr. Sten, I do not recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast