Friday, October 24, 2014

{Movie Review} Dracula Untold

Release Date: October 10, 2014
Rating: PG-13
Length: 92 minutes
Genre(s): Action, Drama Fantasy


Description:

Facing threats to his kingdom and his family, Vlad Tepes makes a deal with dangerous supernatural forces - whilst trying to avoid succumbing to the darkness himself.

Director: Gary Shore
Writers: Matt Sazama, Burk Sharpless, Bram Stroker
Main Cast: Luke Evans (Vlad), Sarah Gadon (Mirena), Dominic Cooper (Mehmed)


Mandy's Review:

The hubs and I went and saw this movie because I'm a fan of all things dark and creepy and he's a fan of action. When we can find a movie to fit both of our criteria, we have to go to the theater to see it. I wanted this movie to fulfill my internal bloodlust ... my desire for it grows during October, especially the closer it gets to Halloween. What I wasn't expecting was to have my heart wrenched in a few spots.

The movie begins as a narrative with action stills giving life to the words being spoken. Right away you can see the style and direction the film will take. The dark colors with pops of blood red accentuate the darkness of the film's premise. It reminded me a bit of 300 with how the movie was filmed.

Luke Evans portrayed the tormented Vlad wonderfully ... and I must say that the shots of his chiseled torso had no sway on my opinion of his acting abilities (insert innocent look here). He was scary violent when needed, but heartbreakingly sweet and tender when it came to his wife (played by Sarah Gadon) and child.

On the other hand, Dominic Cooper was too pretty to play the bad boy. Every time his face came on the screen all I could think about was how beautiful his skin was, how perfectly sculpted his eyebrows were, and how beautifully put-together he was. Personally, I think that distracts from his character and another actor should've been chosen to portray Mehmed.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie. It didn't scare me as I was hoping for when watching movies during October, but it did have me feeling all the feels while watching. I loved it when Vlad kicked ass, I nearly cried when Vlad had to give his son away, and I was sad and proud of the choice he made to obtain the power to defeat the Turks attacking his land. This movie was definitely entertaining and action-packed. If you're looking for a more historically recognizable account of Count Dracula, you'll not find it here. All others who are looking for a movie to kill an hour and a half while being drawn into a character you think you know will enjoy Dracula Untold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast