Friday, August 9, 2013

{Meme} Book Blogger Hop



The Book Blogger Hop is a meme kept alive by Billy from Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer - thanks, Billy!


This week's question:

If you don't like a book that you said you would review, do you graciously turn it down and explain why or do you struggle through it and hopefully come up with a half decent review?


Kathy's Response:

I think I'm pretty honest in my reviews. I can usually tell from the review request if it's going to be something that I absolutely will not like, so I'll turn those down. But anything I read, I will give my honest opinion. Sometimes I do try and sugarcoat the really negative things I have to say but I don't hold back. I don't think it's fair to an author to just hear the good. In order to grow as a writer you should be open to criticism.


Mandy's Response:

Some of you may not like me after this, but I will let you in on a little secret ... First, though, let me tell you that I agree with Kathy. I can also tell from the review request if it's going to be something that I absolutely will not like and I will turn those down. There are those books, however, that I'm unsure about and if I feel adventurous I will give them a shot. Sometimes that bites me in the butt.

Generally, I will struggle through the book and try to come up with a half-decent review while explaining what I didn't like about the book. Then there's the others ... and this is where my secret comes in at ... that are just so horrible I cannot continue reading it. What?! You don't finish reading the book?!! It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. When I just can't read any more, I will write an extremely negative review. Maybe that's not polite or socially accepting, but that's how I roll. You opened yourself up to my criticism when you requested I review your work, so you're going to get my thoughts with both barrels blazing. Some people respect that. Some people curse me. All I can say is ... you asked for it.


Let us hear your thoughts ... =)

4 comments:

  1. Good or Bad, I was always write a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good answer. I can't finish a book if it isn't of interest or offensive, and I do write the author.

    My full answer is below.

    Don't read any books this weekend that you don't like. :)

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I do write quite negative reviews, but those are usually of books I picked up myself. I'm really selective when it comes to accepting review requests because I don't want to get into a bad situation! Thanks for sharing, I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write negative reviews. Here is when: http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2013/08/book-blogger-hop_9.html

    ReplyDelete

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast