ISBN #: 978-1-4516-5117-1
Page Count: 369
Publisher: Gallery Books
(Taken from back cover)
For fifteen years, Amber, Drew, and Trevor have barely been able to recall - let alone explain - what happened the terrifying night they decided to explore the old, abandoned Lowry House. According to local legend, the house was cursed by a dark past and inhabited by evil. It burst into flames on the night of their visit, leaving the friends traumatized and nearly dead with only vague memories of the frightening events they had witnessed inside. Now, on the eve of their high school reunion, they have gathered to reopen their investigation and figure out, once and for all, what took place that fateful night ... before the supernatural entity they escaped threatens to overtake them again.
Spooky and mysterious... it's the perfect cover for a ghost story.
Three friends reunite after 15 years. They go back to their old hometown for their high school reunion. When they first come together, again, they discuss the old days and some of the weirdness they've experienced since that fateful night. They eventually decide to go back to the place of their nightmares to see if they can remember what happened to them.
Drew - Analytical, dependable, has had feelings for Amber since high school.
Trevor - Writer, travels around looking for truly haunted places. He provides the comic relief among his friends.
Amber - Pretty, has mutual feelings for Drew, but she's pretty messed up in the head.
While I did enjoy this story, I had some issues with it also. Some of the things I enjoyed were:
- The story flowed reasonably well
- Easy to read
- Characters were fleshed out and relatable
- Reminded me, in several instances, of Stephen King's It, which is my all-time favorite King novel.
- Evil presence luring same people back years later for a final showdown
- Child versions of said people lose their memories of one eventful night, until reunited together again as adults and re-enter the "Bad Place."
- Ending was too ... soft. I was expecting a huge finale, a major showdown, but all I got was feeling cheated. The whole book built up well towards a huge ending, but the ending was lackluster and disappointing.
I would recommend this book to supernatural book lovers ... just don't have high expectations for the ending.