Saturday, June 29, 2013

{2013 TBR Pile Challenge - Review} Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

ISBN #: 0451232682
Page Count: 336
Copyright: March 1, 2011
Publisher: NAL Trade


Book Summary:
(Taken from Amazon)

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before - not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


Mandy's Review:

I was really drawn into the darkness of this book. I liked that Haden wasn't your usual vampire, werewolf, or  other overly-popularized paranormal creature. Haden, people, was a demon. Straight up. His mother was queen of the Under (Underworld shortened, I'm assuming), so homeboy was essentially the Prince of Darkness. Theia has goals, doesn't she? No normal boy will do, oh no. She goes and falls in love with a demon who's in line to inherit the Underworld. You go girl!

Okay, part of that was sarcasm, but I really did like the change-up of the bad boy persona. What irritated me, though, was Theia was still drawn to Haden even though he treated her like a ping-pong ball for the first half (or so) of the book. What is it with girls in these types of novels falling in love with the guy who treats them like dirt? I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm as attracted to the bad boy as anybody (and have dated a few), but I don't see myself falling in love with them and disregarding the rest of the male population. Bad boys are fun play toys, but many YA authors use them as standards for a girl's love interest. Let the good guy win!

So, anyhow, the writing was extremely good. The plot concept was very recognizable, but also unique enough to stand on its own merit. I don't know that I'd read the sequel to this book, but I am glad that I can at least cross this one off my TBR list.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast