Tuesday, August 25, 2020

{Review} UNDER THE WIDE AND STARRY SKY by Nancy Horan

 


First of all, this cover is gor-geous! The cover and the title are the reasons why I bought this book from a Dollar General and added it to my Goodreads TBR list way back in 2017. I have finally gotten around to reading it.

To start, this is a novel based on the life of Robert Luis Stevenson's wife, Fanny Van de Grift Osbourne, and her marriage to the famous author. When Fanny met Luis, she had just lost her youngest child. Being 10 years Luis' senior, Fanny didn't think of Luis as a viable suitor and was, therefore, attracted to Luis' cousin. Eventually, Luis wins Fanny over, she divorces her husband in San Francisco, Fanny and Luis get married, and end up traveling the world to find a place where Luis can live healthily.

Fanny was too combative and could hold a grudge like nobody's business. There were quite a few times I remember thinking, "Dear Lord, just let it go already!" Luis could be an ass with his brutal honesty and biting wit. They made a strange pair and couple. I didn't get a sense of love or infatuation from either of them.

The book was entertaining and an interesting read. Although it's a fictional account of their lives together, this novel is based on facts, real letters, journal entries, etc from both Fanny and Luis. I am glad to have read it once, even if it's just to get it off my TBR list, but I don't foresee my reading it again in the future. I really don't know who I'd want to recommend it to, either, so I guess I'll end this by saying that I'd rate this about 2.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast