Tuesday, January 10, 2012

CJ Reviews: The Caldarian Conflict by Mike Kalmbach

ISBN #: 978-1466246812
Page Count: 274
Copyright: August 28, 2011
Publisher: CreateSpace


Book Summary:
(Taken from Amazon)

Brother Mendell isn't someone you'd expect to see helping a pirate. After all, he's a monk who follows a god names Lord Justice, and pirates certainly deserve punishment. As a corrupt military deals death to pirates using questionable methods, Mendell finds himself caught in the crossfire when he seeks justice for an unfairly executed prisoner.

No one is safe as Admiral Cain and his ruthless assistant Krell struggle to maintain complete secrecy over their plan. There goal isn't merely to rid Caldaria of pirates; they have much loftier ambitions. Anyone with too much knowledge must die.

Mendell struggles to unravel the mystery before he, too, becomes a casualty of The Caldarian Conflict.


CJ's Review:

First off, let me start by saying that Mike Kalmbach starts a book the way it should start. Right away we lose an important figure in the book that had the makings of an awesome character. I won't spoil anything by saying what happens, but it immediately grabbed my attention and kept me reading. What I would ask of you, Mike, is maybe a prequel to this book, maybe with this character as one of the central figures ... pretty cool idea, huh? I always think that a book that starts with a death is a good way to start.

Okay, so this book has two types of people that I never would have imagined together in a book, monks and pirates. Mendell, the main character, is a monk who uncovers some stuff he shouldn't about some folks in authority. The book is basically Mendell figuring out ways to foil the bad guys, so to speak. I don't have too many suggestions to the author about ways to make the book better; I thought it was pretty good and I like the epilogue at the end kind of throwing a twist at the ending of the story ... have to admit, did not expect this.

Overall, I liked the book a lot. I do hope future reads will be this enjoyable by an up and coming author ... only thing that maybe could have been better was if there were a dragon in it ... I like dragons.

Good job Mr. Kalmbach and "may the wind always carry you toward adventure."

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! There is indeed a prequel in the works, and I'll be sure to let you know when it's ready.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast